Meat from 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded or
2 lbs. diced chicken breast or boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
5-6 scallions, chopped
2-3 Jalapeño or Serrano peppers, seeded and minced
4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 48-oz. boxes low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Mexican oregano
Juice of 2 limes (4 tbsp.)
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Cubed fresh avocado (sprinkled with lime to keep them from turning brown)
Shredded fried or baked tortilla strips
Chopped fresh cilantro
Next time I might try to add some chopped red onion (sautéed with the garlic in the beginning), corn kernels, and 1 tsp. of chipotle powder.
1. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a saute pan. Add the scallions, jalapeños and garlic and saute about 1 minute or until fragrant.
2. Add the carrots and tomatoes.
3. Add the chicken stock, cumin, black pepper, salt, and Mexican oregano.
4. Add the chicken, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
5. Stir in lime juice and 1 cup fresh cilantro.
6. Ladle into individual soup bowls and top with diced avocado, tortilla strips, and lime wedges on the side.