1 lb. ribeye steak (trimmed of fat), tenderloin or flank steak, very thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. minced/grated fresh ginger
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. rice wine
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. cold water
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
5 tbsp. vegetable oil
3-4 scallions, thinly sliced along the bias
1. Slice the beef and toss with the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and let marinate for at least 1 hour.
2. Heat 2 cups of oil over high heat in a large wok or saute pan. When the oil is shimmering, add the beef and cook, stirring frequently with a slotted spoon, until the meat is just cooked through (5-8 minutes). Remove the beef to a paper towel-lined plate. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
3. Beat the eggs and 3/4 tsp. of salt in a medium bowl. Add the beef to the egg mixture and stir just to combine.
4. Drain all but about 5 tbsp of oil in the pan and return to the cooktop over high heat. Add the sliced scallions and saute briefly, for about 30 seconds. Add the beef and egg mixture to the pan and cook, stirring gently, until the eggs are just scrambled through (do not overcook).
5. Remove the beef and eggs to a plate and serve with steamed white rice.