6-8 oz. patties of Kobe-style ground beef (or regular ground beef)
Shawarma spice blend*
Thinly sliced hothouse cucumbers
Thinly sliced ripe tomatoes
Thinly sliced red onion (soaked in cold water to tame the harsh onion flavor)
Jarred sliced pepperoncinis or deli-sliced mild pepper rings
Shredded iceberg lettuce
Lebanese garlic sauce and/or hummus
Your fav hamburger buns (I like potato bread, brioche, or Hawaiian buns)
*Shawarma Spice Blend:
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. ground coriander
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1/2 tbsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. kosher salt
1. Make the shawarma blend by combining all ingredients in a small jar.
2. Season the hamburger patties well on both sides with the shawarma seasoning.
3. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and sear 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook another 3-4 minutes, turn the patties over, cover, and saute another 3-4 minutes until just cooked through (I like mine with the middle still slightly pink - ok if your meat is super fresh).
4. In the meantime, toast the buns in a toaster oven (or on a baking sheet in your regular oven) at 350F for about 5 minutes.
5. Remove the toasted buns to serving plates. If desired, spread a little mayo on the buns, then add some shredded lettuce to each of the bottom buns (this will help keep the bottom buns from getting soggy).
6. Top the burger patties over the shredded lettuce on each bun; add a generous dollop of garlic sauce and/or hummus on top of each burger.
7. Add sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, and pepperoncinis or deli-sliced pepper rings, according to taste.
8. Add the top buns, press down, and slice each burger in half (easier to eat that way).