1 lb. sea scallops (if frozen, defrost, rinse & pat dry)
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 cup flour
2 eggs + 2 tbsp. water
1 cup ketchup
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp. prepared horseradish (to taste)
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. Crystal Hot Sauce (or Tabasco)
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
Cilantro Lime Tartar Sauce http://thegrubfiles.blogspot.com/2012/07/fish-chips.html
Fresh parsley & lemon wedges for garnish
1. Prepare cocktail sauce by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover & refrigerate.
2. Prepare tartar sauce, cover and refrigerate.
3. Set up the breading station: Pour the Panko bread crumbs in a shallow dish; stir together the flour, kosher salt, celery salt and paprika in another shallow dish; and lastly, beat the eggs and 2 tbsp. of water together in another shallow dish.
4. Add about 2" of vegetable oil to a deep skillet or medium pot. Heat over medium heat until oil reaches about 370F.
5. In the meantime, dredge the scallops in the flour, then in the beaten egg, then in the Panko bread crumbs. Using tongs, add the scallops to the hot oil (cook in 2 or more batches, so as not to overcrowd the scallops in the pan/pot). Fry about 2 minutes or until lightly golden brown (do not overcook, or the scallops will become rubbery in texture). Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with remaining scallops until done.
6. Serve fried scallops with lemon wedges, tartar sauce and cocktail sauce on the side. Garnish with fresh parsley. I like to serve them on parchment paper-lined red deli baskets.