1/4 cup olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 - 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 small red or green bell pepper, chopped
4 oz. chorizo, casing removed and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups water
Salt & pepper
Red pepper flakes (omit if using spicy chorizo)
Minced parsley for garnish
1. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in an enameled cast iron or heavy-bottomed pan. Add the chopped onion and saute 3-5 minutes or until slightly softened.
2. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Add the bell pepper and chorizo, stirring about 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
5. Add the sweet and smoked paprika, stir to combine, then add the bay leaf, dry white wine and water (liquid should almost cover the potatoes). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low then simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
6. Cover and cook another 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
7. Taste the stew and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, as needed.
8. Plate the stew in a casserole dish or a cazuela (Spanish terra cotta clay pot or bowl) and garnish with minced parsley.