6 tbsp. fermented black beans
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 lbs. boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1" pieces, rinsed & patted dry
6 scallions, cut into 1" sections
1 medium onion, quartered
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into large dice
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups water
2 tbsp. Shaohsing or rice wine
4 tbsp. dark soy sauce
2 tbsp. regular soy sauce
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. kosher salt
Cornstarch slurry: 1 tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp. water
Chopped fresh scallions and cilantro, for garnish
1. Place the fermented black beans in a small bowl, cover with warm water and soak for 20 minutes to remove some of the salt. Drain the water & set aside.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a Dutch oven or heavy (e.g., enameled cast iron) pan. Saute the short ribs in batches until browned. Remove the short ribs to a platter and set aside.
3. In the same pan, add the scallions, onion, and garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
4. Return the short ribs back to the pan, toss to combine and add the rinsed fermented black beans, Shaohsing wine, dark & regular soy sauces, sugar, black pepper, and kosher salt. Add 6 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the beef is very tender.
5. Just before serving, bring the braise up to a boil and add the cornstarch slurry, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.
6. Serve with steamed white rice, garnished with chopped fresh scallion & cilantro.
Add the beef back to the pan, along with the rinsed fermented black beans, regular and dark soy sauces, sugar, black pepper, kosher salt, and Shaohsing wine.