1 lb. fettuccine
2 lbs. medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
Salt & pepper
8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
2 tbsp. chopped Italian or flat leaf parsley
1/4 to 1/2 cup half & half (optional)
1. Cook the fettuccine according to package instructions until al dente; drain and toss with a little olive oil (about 1 tbsp.); set aside.
2. Season the shrimp lightly with kosher salt and black pepper.
3. Add 3 tbsp. of the butter to a saute pan and melt over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and saute until they just turn pink; remove to a plate and set aside.
4. In the same pan over medium heat, add the remaining 5 tbsp. of butter. When the butter is mostly melted, add the heavy cream and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Turn heat to low to keep warm; stir in cheese.
5. Add the reserved shrimp and pasta; toss well to combine. If the sauce is on the thick side, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of half and half to thin it out.
6. Taste and season with about 1/2 tsp. salt and a little extra pepper, or as needed. Stir in red pepper flakes, if desired, and chopped parsley before serving.