1 1/2 lbs. assorted mushrooms (I used 8 oz. each of Maitake, Oyster, and Brown Shimeji mushrooms for this recipe)
Feel free to substitute with any other combo of mushrooms
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
2 scallions, chopped
1 tbsp. mirin
2 tbsp. oyster sauce
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 cup water
1 tsp. chicken base
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. water
4-5 tbsp. vegetable oil
1. Trim the ends off of the fresh mushrooms and cut any large caps into smaller bite-sized pieces.
2. Combine the sauce ingredients together in a bowl; set aside.
3. Combine the water and chicken base in a bowl or measuring cup; set aside.
3. Combine the cornstarch slurry in a small bowl; set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a saute pan or wok over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute for several seconds until fragrant.
5. Add the mushrooms, toss, and turn heat down to medium. Cover and let simmer about 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, then stir in the sauce ingredients. Season with 1/4 tsp. salt.
6. Bring the mixture up to a boil and add the cornstarch slurry. Stir briefly until the sauce has thickened. Garnish with the chopped scallions and plate on a serving dish.