2 lbs. American Kobe/Wagyu ground beef, shaped into four 1/2-lb. balls
4 slices white cheddar, Monterey Jack, Gruyere, or Fontina cheese
4 large Hawaiian or Brioche hamburger buns, toasted
Iceberg lettuce leaves
Kosher dill pickle slices
1. Prepare the sautéed onions, mushrooms and jalapeños ahead of time. Set aside until ready to use (ok to refrigerate if not using right away - just reheat in a skillet before serving).
2. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat (do not add oil). Add the meat balls and let sear for about 1 minute.
3. Using a spatula, smash down on the burger balls and flatten each into a 1/2" patty. Season with a sprinkling of salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Sear for 1 minute.
4. In the meantime, toast the buns in a toaster oven for about 2 minutes.
5. Turn the patties over and season with a pinch of salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Saute for another 1-2 minutes until the patties are medium-well. Do not overcook.
6. To serve: Place the buns onto individual serving plates. Spread mayonnaise on both sides of each bun, then top with the Kobe burgers.
7. Garnish with lettuce, onions, mushrooms, jalapeños and pickle slices.
8. Slice each burger in half, if desired, for easier eating.