1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups kimchi, drained (reserve the juice) & chopped
4 cups cooked short-grain white rice, cooled or cold
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. Gochujiang (Korean Red Chili Paste)
Pinch of kosher salt
1 tbsp. toasted white sesame seeds
1-2 scallions, sliced thinly along the bias
Thin strips of nori (toasted seaweed sheets), optional
Fried eggs (for topping), optional
1. Heat 1 tbsp. vegetable oil over medium high heat in a wok or large saute pan. Add the chopped kimchi and cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add the rice and stir gently to combine.
3. Add the reserved kimchi juice, gochujiang, and stir gently to combine.
4. Season with sesame oil and a pinch of salt, as needed. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp. sesame seeds. Turn off heat.
5. In the meantime, make fried eggs (1 per person/serving).
6. To serve: scoop fried rice into individual serving bowls, top each with a fried egg, and garnish with scallions, sesame seeds, and julienned nori strips if desired.