2 lbs. ground pork (do not use the extra lean stuff or the meat will be tough-you can always skim off the excess fat later. 85-15 ground turkey is a good substitute)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup fried shallots
4-5 shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water and finely diced
2 tbsp. rice wine
3/4 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. five spice powder
3 cups water (or more, as needed)
1. Heat 1 tbsp. vegetable oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and ground pork and cook until meat is browned.
2. Add fried shallots and diced shiitake mushrooms and stir well.
3. Stir in soy sauce, rice wine sugar, and 5 spice powder. Reduce heat to medium, and cook about 1 minute.
4. Add water, lower heat to simmer & cover. Cook about 20 minutes to reduce the liquid by about 1/3.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve over hot white rice.