1-2 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. Sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
2 large ripe tomates, diced
1 onion, thinly sliced
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 8-oz. box sliced button mushrooms
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced
1 tsp. salt
1 cup fresh basil, julienned or chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Generous drizzle of basil olive oil (optional)
Extra grated or shaved parmesan cheese for garnish
1 lb. dried linguine or spaghetti, broken in half
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Break the pasta in half with your hands and add to the water. Add a large pinch of salt and a couple tsp. of olive oil to the water. Cook 9-12 minutes or until the pasta is just al dente. Drain the water from the pan and set the pasta aside (keep it in the pan).
2. Heat 1-2 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet. Add the sliced onions and cook over medium-high heat until just starting to brown.
3. Add the sausage meat and break up with spatula. When the meat is partially cooked, add the minced garlic. Stir and then add the mushrooms. Continue cooking until the mushrooms have softened.
4. Turn heat up to high and add the bell peppers and jalapeños. Saute for a couple minutes then add the tomatoes. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until the tomatoes are slightly softened, but not mushy. Stir in 1/2 cup grated parmesan, basil, and 1 tsp. salt. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
5. Turn off the heat and stir in a generous drizzle of basil (or regular) olive oil.
6. Plate and serve with extra grated or shaved parmesan on the side.