3 slices bacon, cut into strips
1/4 lb. ground pork or pork loin (cut into 1" strips) AND/OR
4 oz. (1 slice) ham, cut into strips
1 tbsp. dried shrimp, reconstituted in hot water & finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
6-8 small-medium dried shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted in hot water, stemmed & sliced
1 large head of napa cabbage, sliced
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
5 cups water + 1 tbsp. Totole chicken base (or use 5 cups low sodium chicken broth)
1 cup of reserved shiitake mushroom soaking liquid
4 tbsp. oyster sauce
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Cornstarch slurry (1/4 cup water + 4 tbsp. cornstarch)
1. Place dried shiitakes & dried shrimp in a bowl and cover with hot tap water. Let sit 30-60 minutes, or until softened.
2. Heat 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil in a large wok over medium high heat. Add bacon & cook until lightly browned and rendered. Add pork and/or ham (if using), garlic and toss for about 30 seconds. Stir in sliced Shiitake mushrooms and chopped rehydrated dried shrimp.
3. Add sliced cabbage and cook for about 5 minutes until slightly wilted. Stir in chicken broth, reserved mushroom soaking liquid, oyster sauce, sugar, sesame oil, white pepper & kosher salt.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
5. Bring mixture back up to a boil & stir in cornstarch slurry. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Turn off heat & adjust seasonings (add extra sesame oil & white pepper, as needed).