1 cup whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
2-3 tbsp. medium grind coffee, depending on how strong you like your coffee (my fav is French or Vietnamese dark roast)
1. Combine all ingredients except salt in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until the mixture is just barely up to a simmer (around 170F).
2. Turn off heat and stir in a pinch of salt.
3. Let the mixture steep at least 30 minutes or until it is cooled to room temperature.
4. Strain the mixture into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until very cold (at least 6 hours or preferably overnight).
5. Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions, typically around 20-30 minutes. Spoon ice cream (should be just a little firmer than soft serve) into a container, cover and freeze until firm.
6. To serve, take the container of ice cream out of the freezer and let sit at room temperature about 5 minutes before scooping.