2 lbs. flap steak, flatiron steak, or flank steak
Kosher salt and black pepper
Zest and juice of 2 limes
Zest and juice of 1 orange
1/2 cup sliced shallots
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. Mexican oregano
1 tbsp. smoked paprika
1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp. blood orange* or regular balsamic vinegar
1-2 tbsp. water (if marinade is too thick)
*You can buy blood orange balsamic vinegar online at www.weolive.com or www.temeculaoliveoil.com
1. Place the flap steak in a shallow baking dish and sprinkle both sides lightly with salt and then liberally with black pepper (do not over salt the meat).
2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Using your hands, spread the marinade all over the meat, cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 45 minutes. Place in the refrigerator and continue marinating another 2-3 hours, turning meat over once or twice during this time. Remove the meat from the frig and let sit at room temperature 30-45 minutes before grilling.
3. Prepare your grill (I prefer charcoal to gas) and heat the coals to medium high heat. Sear the steak about 5 minutes per side for medium rare - do not overcook!
4. Remove steak to a chopping board and let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.
5. Serve with heirloom tomato salad http://thegrubfiles.blogspot.com/2013/07/heirloom-tomato-hothouse-cucumbers.html and fresh mango salad http://thegrubfiles.blogspot.com/2011/07/jerk-shrimp-with-mango-red-onion.html