1 pork butt or shoulder
2 tbsp. rice wine
3 tbsp. brown sugar
3 tbsp. honey or maltose
2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
1 tbsp. oyster sauce
2 tbsp. ketchup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp. dark soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. five spice powder
1 clove garlic, grated
2-3 drops red food coloring (optional)
1. Add all marinade ingredients together in a bowl and stir to combine.
2. Trim the pork shoulder of excess fat, then cut lengthwise into 3-4 logs. Pierce throughout with a fork.
3. Place the pork strips and marinade into a large Ziploc type bag, then massage the bag gently to incorporate the marinade into the pork. Carefully squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible, then close. Place the bag flat down in the frig and let marinate at least 24 or up to 48 hours, turning several times.
4. After marinating, take the bag o' pork out of the frig and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before roasting. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 400F.
5. Place a rack over a shallow baking pan and spray with a bit of Pam to prevent sticking.
6. Remove the meat from the marinade (reserve the marinade) and place on top of the rack. Brush the top of the meat with some of the reserved marinade.
7. Roast the pork for about 15 minutes, turn over, brush with more marinade, and roast another 15 minutes or until the internal temp is 160F. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before slicing/serving.