Sunday, April 17, 2022

Japanese-Style Corn with Kewpie Mayonnaise and Furikake Seasoning

One night I had some leftover boiled corn-on-the-cob and was wracking my brain for something other than butter and salt to season them with. Mexican elote is one my fav ways to make corn, but I didn't have the requisite ingredients on hand. With elote still in mind and thinking of mayonnaise slathered on corn, I suddenly remembered that I had some Kewpie mayo in the frig and Furikake seasoning in the pantry. Why not put them both together? So I did and it was a match made in heaven! So simple and yet so good. I won't take credit for this combo since someone else may have already gone there, but I'm glad it clicked in my head. For a spicier kick, you can also add a sprinkle of Shichimi Togarashi or Sansho pepper.

Kewpie, a Japanese mayonnaise that was invented in 1924, is made with egg yolks only (not whole eggs) and rice vinegar.

Furikake is a Japanese seasoning blend typically comprised of seaweed, sesame seed, sugar and salt.

Shichimi Togarashi is a Japanese 7-spice blend of chili pepper flakes, nori, toasted sesame seeds, Szechuan peppercorns, dried orange peel, ginger, and poppy seeds, mixed together and ground into a fine powder. 

Sansho Pepper is a pepper related to Szechuan peppercorns with a citrusy flavor and slightly numbing effect.

INGREDIENTS:
Fresh ears of corn, husked with silks removed
Kewpie mayonnaise
Furikake seasoning
Shichimi togarashi (optional)
Sansho pepper (optional)

1. Boil or grill the corn.

2. Slather each ear of corn with Kewpie mayo

3. Sprinkle generously with Furikake and togarashi and/or Sansho, if desired





No comments:

Post a Comment