3 tbsp. vegetable oil
10 cloves garlic, peeled & smashed
6 slices ginger
1 large or 2 medium red chiles, halved & seeded
2 lbs. beef stew meat (or brisket, or beef shank, cubed)
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine
2 tbsp. sugar
8 cups water
2 star anise
Stems from 1 bunch of cilantro
2 scallions, cut into 2 inch sections
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
4 carrots, peeled & cut into large dice
1 large or 2 medium ripe tomatoes, quartered
1 medium daikon radish, or 2 turnips, peeled & cubed
2 tbsp. of water
2 tbsp. cornstarch
Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
1. Heat 3 tbsp. of vegetable oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and red chiles, and stir-fry for a couple minutes until fragrant.
2. Add the beef and cook for several minutes until lightly browned. Stir in soy sauce, rice wine and sugar.
3. Add 8 cups water, star anise, cilantro stems, scallions, onion, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
4. Add the carrots and turnips. Cover and simmer another 30 minutes or until veggies are tender.
5. Bring stew up to a boil over high heat. Mix together 2 tbsp. water and 2 tbsp. of cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir into the stew and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
6. Serve the stew over steamed white rice. Garnish with fresh cilantro.