20 cups water + 5 tbsp. chicken powder (Totole) or equivalent of low sodium chicken broth
3 scallions, chopped
6 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into wedges
2 14-oz. boxes of soft tofu, cut into large cubes
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Scallions for garnish
*Meatballs (make small 1/2" meatballs from ground pork seasoned with a bit of sesame oil, soy sauce, and white pepper) - optional
1. Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add 3 chopped scallions, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Add the tofu cubes and 1 tsp. sesame oil. Simmer another 30 minutes.
4. Bring soup to a boil. If using meatballs, add at this time and cook 1-2 minutes.
5. Next, stir in beaten eggs, stirring constantly with a spoon in a clockwise direction until the egg forms long strands.
6. Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls; serve with a few drops of extra sesame oil and garnish with chopped scallion.