1 pkg. (about 2 lbs) of boneless, skinless chicken thighs - trimmed of fat & cut into 1" dice.
3 scallions, chopped
8-oz. pkg. of button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 red onion, chopped
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapenos, seeded & sliced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
8 dried red Japanese chilies (or any other small 2" long dried red chilies)
1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
1 tsp. of the reserved minced garlic
1 heaping tbsp. of the reserved chopped scallion
2 tbsp. Shaohsing or rice wine
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. sugar
5 tbsp. black vinegar
3 tbsp. Shaohsing or rice wine
6 tbsp. soy sauce
3 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 cup water
Cooked white rice
1. Place diced chicken in a medium bowl and add marinade ingredients. Mix well, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
2. Stir all sauce ingredients together in a 2-cup measuring cup or bowl. Set aside.
3. In a wok or large saute pan, heat 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil over high heat. Add marinated chicken and saute until meat is lightly browned and cooked through. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
4. Return same wok/saute pan back on to high heat and add 1 tbsp. vegetable oil. When oil is very hot, add dried red chilies (leave whole) and saute until chilies start to turn brown.
5. Add remaining chopped garlic & scallions, then chopped red onion, button mushrooms, and sliced jalapenos to the pan. Continue cooking over high heat until mushrooms are soft.
6. Stir in reserved chicken, and continue cooking 1-2 minutes. Add sauce and bring mixture to a boil. Continue cooking for several minutes until sauce is thickened.
7. Remove chicken to a serving platter and top with chopped cilantro. Serve with hot white rice.