1 1/3 cups (2 sticks plus 6 tbsp.) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer using the whisk attachment and blend on medium speed to cream. Add a pinch of salt, the vanilla and eggs and mix briefly until just blended.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder together, then add to the butter mixture, blend & knead briefly until you have a smooth dough.
3. Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll into a log (try not to handle the dough too much).
4. Tear out a large sheet of plastic wrap and brush lightly with vegetable oil. Wrap the the dough with the oiled plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour before using.
5. Preheat oven to 350F. Take the pastry dough out from the frig and cut into thirds. Wrap the remaining two portions of pastry dough in plastic wrap, place in a Ziplock-type bag and refrigerate up to 3-4 days, or freeze until ready for another use. This dough will keep for up to a month in the freezer.
6. Let the 1/3 portion of pastry rest at room temperature about 10-15 minutes until just soft enough to roll out (it may be very hard coming just out of the frig). Roll the dough on a floured surface into a 1/8" thick round (keep it on the thin side). Fit a round of parchment paper or waxed paper on to the bottom of a 9" springform pan, then butter and flour it. Place the dough on top of the parchment and spread it out with your fingers as needed to make sure it covers the entire bottom of the pan.
7. Bake the pastry dough for about 15 minutes (on a rack midway up the oven) or until the crust is lightly golden. Remove the pan from the oven and set aside to cool.