4 slices day old bread, crusts removed
1/3 cup milk
2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 small red or white onion, grated (about 1/4 cup)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground Turkish red pepper or Aleppo pepper
1 tsp. ground sumac
1 tsp. sweet paprika
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
*Turkish Shepherd's Salad http://thegrubfiles.blogspot.com/2018/06/turkish-style-shepherds-salad-with.html
1. Place the bread with crusts removed into a bowl. Pour in milk and let soak to soften.
2. In the meantime, soak some flat bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes (that way they won't burn on the grill).
3. In the meantime, make the Turkish Shepherd's salad, cover, and set aside.
4. Add all the remaining ingredients to the softened bread and mix together gently (I use my hands with disposable gloves). Shape the mixture into 2" meatballs and skewer 3-4 on each skewer. You can also shape a handful of the meat mixture evenly around each skewer.
5. Place the skewers on a grill rack and grill over medium high heat, turning over several times, until cooked through.
6. Serve with the Turkish Shepherd's salad on the side. Other good condiments are tahini-yogurt sauce and/or a chunky tomato sauce.