1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 8-oz. packages of button mushrooms, sliced
4 stalks celery, sliced
1 cup green peas
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. ponzu sauce (or 1 tsp. soy + 2 tsp. lemon juice)
1/2 cup dry sherry or white wine
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
6 5-oz. cans water-packed tuna, drained
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 tbsp. unsalted butter (for lighter version, substitute with light butter)
4 cups (32-oz.) low sodium chicken broth
3 cups whole milk (for lighter version, substitute with 1% or 2% milk)
16-oz. curly egg noodles, linguine or fettuccine
2 cups Panko (or other) bread crumbs
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (for lighter version, substitute with light cheese)
1. Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a large skillet. Add chopped onion & cook, covered (stirring occasionally), until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Increase heat to medium-high and add mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes (if too dry, add a splash of sherry or white wine). Season with a pinch of salt. Add celery and cook for 1 minute. Stir in peas. Add soy sauce, ponzu and sherry and bring to a boil. Cook about 1 minute to cook off the alcohol and remove pan from heat.
3. In a separate saute pan, melt 6 tbsp. butter over medium heat and whisk in flour. Keep whisking for about 2-3 minutes and then stir in chicken broth. Whisking constantly, bring mixture to a boil then add milk. Simmer for about 5-6 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Stir in mushroom mixture and season with 1 1/2 tsp. salt & 1 tsp. pepper. Add tuna (try to keep the tuna in bite-sized chunks). Turn off heat & set aside.
4. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350F. cook egg noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water per package instructions (usually takes about 9-10 minutes) until al dente. Drain noodles and toss with tuna-mushroom sauce. Pour into casserole dish.
5. Combine grated cheese with Panko bread crumbs and sprinkle over casserole. Bake about 30 minutes or until mixture is hot & bubbly and the crumb topping is golden brown.
You can also use cooked fettuccine or linguine instead of curly egg noodles for this dish.