24 oz. squid or calamari, cleaned and cut into 1" bite-sized pieces
1 tbsp. Shaoxing or rice wine
1 cup potato starch
2 cups vegetable oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 scallions, chopped
2 red jalapeño or Fresno chiles, seeded and sliced
1 green jalapeño, seeded and sliced
3/4 tsp. Szechuan Peppercorn Salt
1. Place the cleaned and diced squid into a medium bowl. Toss with the Shaoxing wine and let marinate for 15-20 minutes.
2. Place 1 cup of potato starch into a shallow baking dish or casserole.
3. Drain the wine/liquid from the squid and then dredge them in the potato starch.
4. Heat 2 cups of vegetable oil in a medium wok or sauté pan over high heat. Cook the battered squid in 2 batches for 5-6 minutes at at time until the squid is lightly browned. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
5. Pour out all but 1 tbsp. of oil in the pan, turn heat up to medium, then add the minced garlic, scallions and sliced chile peppers. Saute for 30 seconds, turn the heat up to high, then add the fried squid back to the pan. Sprinkle with the ground Szechuan peppercorns and a generous dose of white pepper. Toss for a few seconds, then remove to a serving platter.