4 Ahi tuna steaks, about 6 oz. each
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and sliced into thin rings
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, grated
1 scallion, finely chopped
Juice of 1/2 a lime (about 1 tbsp.)
1 tbsp. light (low sodium) soy sauce
2 tbsp. water
2 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. sesame oil
Avocado slices, sprinkled with a little lime juice (optional for garnish)
1. Combine all the sauce ingredients together in a measuring cup or bowl; set aside.
2. Very lightly salt & pepper the ahi steaks on both sides.
3. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a saute pan over high heat. Sear the tuna about 2-3 minutes per side until nicely browned, but with the center still rare (I also briefly sear the sides of the tuna steak using tongs to stand them up).
4. Remove the ahi steaks from the pan to a chopping board. Slice each steak into 1/3" slices across the grain, and place onto individual serving platters.
5. Pour some of the sauce over the tuna slices and serve with a small scoop of steamed white rice on the side.