2 lbs. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (leave tail on) - about 36 shrimps
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. Gold Tequila or rum
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. black pepper
Fresh basil leaves
12 strips bacon, microwaved 1 minute to par-cook, cooled, then cut into thirds
Dipping sauces that work well with this recipe:
Your fav BBQ sauce
Your fav salsa
Cocktail sauce http://thegrubfiles.blogspot.com/2012/12/panko-fried-sea-scallops-with-cilantro.html
Lime-Cilantro Tartar Sauce http://thegrubfiles.blogspot.com/2012/07/fish-chips.html
Roasted Garlic Aioli http://thegrubfiles.blogspot.com/2016/06/roasted-garlic-aioli.html
Lemon and lime wedges
1. In a medium non-reactive bowl, combine shrimp, olive oil, tequila or rum, lime juice and pepper. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour, stirring once or twice.
2. Wrap each shrimp with a basil leaf and then with a strip of bacon. Skewer each with a toothpick to keep the basil and bacon in place.
3. Slide the shrimps onto a metal or presoaked bamboo skewer, about 4-5 shrimps per skewer.
4. Grill the shrimp skewers, turning over as needed, until the shrimp are just cooked through.
5. Serve with any combination of the above listed sauces along with extra lemon and lime wedges on the side.