Chicken & Marinade:
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed & diced or sliced into 2" pieces
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. water
4 tbsp. oyster sauce
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. dark soy sauce
4 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 tbsp. rice wine or Shaohsing wine
1 1/4 cups water
2-lb. pkg. fresh rice noodles
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
3 scallions, sliced on the bias into 2" pieces
3 fresh Fresno (red) chiles, seeded and sliced (leave seeds in if you like extra spicy)
1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and sliced (leave seeds in if you like extra spicy)
1 green or red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
2 cups Thai basil leaves (ok to substitute with sweet basil if you can't find Thai)
2 cups bean sprouts
Lime wedges for garnish
1. Add the marinade ingredients to the sliced chicken in a medium bowl & combine well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Combine all the sauce ingredients together in a 2-cup measuring cup or bowl. Set aside.
3. Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add the garlic, sliced bell pepper and chiles and saute about 10 seconds.
4. Add the chicken and cook until the meat just loses its pink color.
5. Add the sliced onion and scallions.
6. Stir in the noodles and toss gently to separate. When the noodles are heated through (2-3 minutes), stir in the sauce. Bring to a boil, about 1-2 minutes.
7. Add the basil. Stir briefly then add 2 cups of bean sprouts.
8. Serve the noodles immediately while hot with lime wedges on the side.