1 14-oz pkg. of Thai rice noodles
4 tbsp. fish sauce
2 tbsp. brown or white sugar
1 tbsp. tamarind concentrate
4-6 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. medium shrimp, shelled & deveined
3 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 scallions, sliced into 1" pieces
1/4 cup minced shallot and/or thinly slice red onion
3 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups bean sprouts
1 green jalapeno & 2 red jalapenos, sliced (remove seeds if you want it less spicy)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dry roasted peanuts
1 tsp. oyster sauce (optional)
Optional (not traditional): 1 small carrot, shredded, 1 pkg. sliced button mushrooms
1. Place the noodles in a large bowl or pot and cover with warm water. Soak about 20-30 minutes or until just softened (don't oversoak!). Drain & set aside.
2. In a large saute pan or wok, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Saute garlic for 10-20 seconds then add shrimp and cook until they just turn pink. Season with a pinch of salt. Remove shrimp to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add 1-2 tsp. of oil back to the pan and, when hot, add beaten eggs. Swirl eggs in the pan and cook until they are just set. Break up scrambled eggs into 1-2" pieces and remove to the same bowl as the reserved shrimp.
4. Add remaining oil to the pan and bring up to heat. Saute shallots or red onion about 1 minute, until softened. Add rice noodles and saute, turning often, for about 1-2 minutes. Stir in fish sauce and tamarind concentrate. Add bean sprouts, sugar, peanuts, scallions & jalapenos.
5. Stir in basil & cilantro.
6. Lastly, toss in the shrimp & scrambled eggs. Taste...if not salty enough, you can add 1 tsp. of oyster sauce or sprinkle in a bit more fish sauce.
7. Serve with lime wedges on the side.