1 lb. sea scallops
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup whole milk
2 egg yolks
6 oz. beer (I like to use Newcastle Brown Ale)
2 egg whites
1 cup. flour
1/2 tsp. paprika
4 cups vegetable oil
Cilantro Lime Tartar Sauce & Cocktail Sauce http://thegrubfiles.blogspot.com/2012/12/panko-fried-sea-scallops-with-cilantro.html
1. Rinse the sea scallops & pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
2. Add all the batter ingredients (except for the egg whites) together in a medium bowl. Use a whisk and blend until there are no lumps left from the flour. Beat the egg whites in a small bowl until stiff peaks form. Pour into the batter and fold in with a rubber spatula until just combined.
3. Combine 1 cup of flour and 1/2 tsp. of paprika in a shallow casserole dish.
4. Over medium high heat, heat 4 cups of oil (or enough oil to reach about 2" in depth) in a skillet or pot.
5. Dredge the scallops in the flour-paprika mixture.
6. Once oil starts to bubble (should be 360-370F), use tongs and dip a floured scallop into the batter until completely coated with batter, and then lower it into the hot oil. Repeat with the remaining scallops. Do not overcrowd the pan - fry in several batches, as needed.
7. Fry the scallops for 2 minutes, turning them over with tongs about halfway through so that they brown evenly on both sides. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Continue frying scallops until all are done.
8. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot with lemon wedges, tartar sauce and cocktail sauce on the side. 1 pound of scallops (12-13 pieces) serves anywhere from 2-4 people, depending on your appetite.