This recipe will easily serve a healthy 6-8 portions.
1 lb. beef tenderloin, flank steak or ribeye, cut into thin 2" strips (ok to substitute with pork country ribs or loin, or even chicken)
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 green onion, chopped
16 oz. dried Korean sweet potato noodles ('Dang myun')
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
8 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (or substitute with 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 15-20 minutes, stemmed, then sliced)
8 oz. sliced button or cremini mushrooms
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and julienned
1 large carrot, julienned
4-5 scallions, sliced along the bias
5 oz. baby spinach leaves
2 eggs, lightly beaten with a pinch of salt
8-oz package of artificial Krab, broken up into large pieces or 1 Kamaboko fish cake, thinly sliced (optional)
4 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. roasted white sesame seeds
1. Place the sliced meat in a bowl with the marinade ingredients. Mix to combine, cover, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours until ready to use.
2. Chop and julienne all the veggies and set aside.
3. Add a couple teaspoons of oil in a small saute pan over medium high heat. Add the beaten egg and swirl to spread evenly into a thin layer. After about 15-20 seconds, when the bottom just begins to set, lift the egg gently with a spatula to let some of the raw egg run under. Flip the egg, cook for another 5 seconds, then remove to a plate. Once the scrambled eggs are cool enough to handle, slice into thin strips, cover and set aside.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook about 6 minutes over medium high heat, until just tender. Drain the noodles in a colander and rinse under cool tap water. Use kitchen shears to cut the noodles into more manageable lengths, if desired. Toss well with 2 tbsp. of soy sauce and set aside.
5. Heat 2 tbsp. vegetable oil in a large sauce pan or wok over high heat. Add the marinated beef strips and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring only occasionally, until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
6. Heat 2-3 tsp. of oil in the same pan over medium high heat. Add the sliced onions and minced garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes or until they start to soften.
7. Add the carrots and mushrooms and continue cooking another 4-5 minutes until slightly softened (if too dry, add a little extra oil to the pan). Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
8. Add the red bell pepper, jalapeno, and Krab to the pan and cook another 3-4 minutes until the peppers are slightly softened.
9. Add the spinach leaves and stir briefly until wilted.
10. Add the reserved noodles, scallions and beef and stir briefly to separate the noodle strands. Stir in the sauce and mix gently until combined.
11. Plate and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Marinate the beef slices 30 minutes up to 2 hours covered with plastic wrap in the frig.
Combine the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl; set aside.
Minced garlic, sliced scallions, julienned jalapeño, red bell pepper, carrots, sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms and button mushrooms, thinly sliced onion.
Add a couple teaspoons of oil in a small saute pan over medium high heat. Add the beaten egg and swirl to spread the egg evenly into a thin layer. After about 15-20 seconds, when the bottom just begins to set, lift the egg gently with a spatula to let some of the raw egg run under. Flip the egg, cook for another 5 seconds, then remove to a plate to cool before slicing.
Sliced scrambled eggs.
Bring a large pot of unsalted water to a boil over medium high heat and cook noodles about 6 minutes or until just tender.
lengths with kitchen shears.
Toss the noodles with 2 tbsp. soy sauce; set aside.
In the same pan, saute the garlic and sliced onion until slightly wilted.
Add the carrots and mushrooms; season lightly with salt and pepper.
Add the Krab, julienned red bell pepper and jalapeño.
Add the noodles, beef, scallions and sauce. Stir gently to combine.
until all the ingredients are combined.