2 lbs. medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 tsp. light soy sauce
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. mirin or sake
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. orange juice
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. Korean chili powder (gochugaru) or pinch of cayenne pepper
Minced scallion for garnish
Optional: guacamole and/or Korean dipping sauce
1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to combine. Cover and let marinate 1 hour in the refrigerator.
2. Set up the grill (I prefer to use a hibachi-style grill, but any grill will do).
3. Skewer the shrimp and grill about 2-3 minutes per side until they are lightly charred and just cooked through.
4. Remove to a serving platter and garnish with minced scallions.
5. The shrimp is flavorful on its own, but feel free to serve with a Korean dipping sauce and/or guacamole on the side.