5 lbs. (use 2 pcs. if needed) corned beef with spice packets*
6 cloves garlic
1 1/2 lbs. whole small Yukon gold, red, and/or purple potatoes
5 large or 10 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large dice
1 head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
Mustard (I like stone ground or Country Dijon)
*If you're up to making your own corned beef, give this a try http://thegrubfiles.blogspot.com/2016/11/home-cured-corned-beef.html
1. Rinse the corned beef, pat dry, and place into a large Dutch oven or enameled cast iron pot.
2. Add water to the pan until the beef is covered by 1" of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Drain water from pot and refill with fresh hot water until 1" over the meat. Add the garlic and spice packets. Bring back up to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 3 hours or until the meat is very tender.
4. Add the potatoes and carrots and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes. Add the cabbage wedges and cook another 10 minutes or until all the veggies are just tender.
5. Remove the corned beef to a chopping board and cut just enough slices to serve (put the remaining brisket back into the broth to keep warm. Plate and serve in individual serving bowls or plates along with veggies and a ladle of broth.
6. Serve with your fav mustard and/or prepared horseradish on the side.