2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Mexican oregano
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup (4 oz.) beer
3 1/2 - 4lbs. bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs*
SAUCE (Aji Verde):
1/4 cup light or regular mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
Juice of 1/2 a lime
2 tbsp. Aji amarillo paste
*You can substitute with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but then you'll miss out on that crispy, aromatic, deliciously spiced chicken skin!
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Rinse the chicken thighs and pat dry with paper towels. Remove as much excess fat as you can from under the skin and place in a bowl.
3. Add the marinade ingredients to the chicken, toss well, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
4. For the sauce: add all the sauce ingredients to a blender or small food processor; blend or pulse about 10-15 seconds until just blended. Remove to a bowl, cover, and set aside (refrigerate if not using right away).
5. Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Place the marinated chicken thighs, skin side up, on the wire rack, spaced at least 1" apart.
6. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and at least 160F.
7. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the chicken rest for 15 minutes.
8. Plate the chicken thighs onto individual serving dishes and serve with the Aji Verde sauce on the side.
To serve leftovers, just heat the thighs in a 350F oven on a baking sheet for 10-15 minutes or until the skins have re-crisped and the meat heated through.