1 1/2 lbs. sushi grade Ahi tuna
2 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. soy paste
1 tsp. chili oil (Layu), to taste (optional)
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. sugar or 2 tsp. honey
2 tsp. toasted white sesame seeds
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
2 scallions, diced
2 tbsp. finely diced red or sweet onion
1 tsp. lime zest (optional)
1 hothouse or English cucumber, cut into small dice
2 avocados, cut into medium dice
Juice of 1 lime
1. Dice the tuna into 1/3" cubes and place into a medium bowl.
2. Toss with soy sauce, soy paste, chili oil (if using), sesame oil, and sugar or honey.
3. Mix in cilantro, scallions, red onion, and lime zest. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour to let the flavors meld.
4. In a small bowl toss the diced avocado with the juice of 1 lime; cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Place the poke onto a serving platter and top with the diced avocado and diced cucumber. Sprinkle top with black and white sesame seeds and fresh cilantro sprigs.
6. Great appetizer on its own, but can also be served with steamed white rice.