2 cups glutinous/sweet rice
5-6 dried shiitake mushrooms
2 tbsp. dried shrimp
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 lb. pork loin or pork belly, cut into thin shreds
1/2 cup fried shallots
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp. five spice powder
1 tbsp. rice wine
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1. Place the rice in a medium bowl, rinse briefly, then cover with water and soak 2-3 hours.
2. Place the shiitakes and dried shrimp in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let sit for 30 minutes or until softened. Remove the stems from the shiitakes and slice the caps. Chop the shrimp & set aside.
3. Drain the water from the rice and pour the rice into a rice cooker. Add just enough water to barely cover the rice (less is better, or else the rice will turn out too mushy when cooked). Turn on the rice cooker and let it do its thing.
4. Add 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil to a wok or large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the sliced shiitakes and chopped shrimp and stir-fry about 2 minutes. Add the pork and remaining ingredients (except for the rice), cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Stir in the rice and 1/2 tsp. of sesame oil. Season with additional white pepper and any other seasonings as needed.