5-6 lb. tri tip
Santa Maria-style seasoning blend (salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley flakes)
10 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tbsp. olive oil
Santa Maria-style salsa http://thegrubfiles.blogspot.com/2015/08/santa-maria-style-bbq-tri-tip-with.html
1. Preheat the oven to 250F.
2. Season the tri-tip on both sides generously with the rub. Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour at room temperature before roasting.
3. Heat 3 tbsp. of olive oil over medium high heat in a large enameled cast iron or other heavy oven proof pot. Sear the meat on one side for 1-2 minutes until nicely browned, then turn over and repeat. Add the garlic and toss in the bottom of the pan to brown.
4. Cover the pot and place into the preheated oven. Roast 3 1/2 to 4 hours (do not uncover) until the beef is super tender.
5. Remove the pot from the oven and let rest about 20-30 minutes, covered.
6. Remove the beef to a cutting board and cut into slices. Serve with the roasted garlic cloves and jus from the pan and Santa Maria-style salsa on the side, if desired.