1 1/2 lbs. medium shrimp, shelled & deveined*
6-8 whole dried red chiles
1/2 small red onion, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 small green bell peppers, seeded and diced OR a combination of
1 small green and 1 small orange or yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
5 tbsp. vegetable oil
*Prep the shrimp to make them "bouncy" before cooking
1 cup water
5 tbsp. black vinegar
3 tbsp. Shaohsing wine
6 tbsp. soy sauce
3 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. water + 2 tbsp. cornstarch
3 scallions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl or measuring cup. Set aside.
2. Heat 5 tbsp. vegetable oil over medium high heat in a large saute pan or wok. Saute for 15-30 seconds then add the garlic and onion and cook until translucent.
3. Add the bell peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes until just crisp tender.
4. Add the shrimp and saute until they've just barely turned pink (don't overcook).
5. Add the sauce ingredients, bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch slurry and cook until the sauce has thickened (1-2 minutes). Stir in scallions and cilantro.
6. Plate and garnish with extra scallions and cilantro. Serve with steamed white rice.