3 1/2 - 4 lbs. pork shoulder
1 recipe of Southwestern Spice Rub http://thegrubfiles.blogspot.com/2010/07/grilled-ribeye-steak-with-southwestern.html
SOUTHWESTERN SPICE RUB
1/4 C. chili powder (Ancho, California, New Mexico, whatever floats your boat)
1 1/2 tbsp. paprika (I like Hungarian sweet)
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. Mexican oregano
2 tsp. Kosher salt
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. dried mustard
10-12 cloves of garlic, smashed & sliced into quarters
3 lbs. of Pacific Gold or Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered or cut into large dice
1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
8 medium carrots, cut into large dice
2 cups water
1. Rub the pork shoulder generously with about 3/4 of the recipe for the spice rub. Cut slits throughout the meat and insert garlic slices.
2. Spread diced potatoes, onions & carrots evenly throughout the bottom of a large roasting pan. Toss with the remaining spice rub. Place pork shoulder on top of the veggies.
3. Sprinkle 2 cups of water over the veggies and cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil.
4. Roast in a 350F oven for 1 hour or until internal temp. reaches 155F.
5. If most of the liquid has evaporated, add 1-2 cups more to the pan. Let pork rest, covered, for at least 10 minutes before slicing.