5 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled
3 medium carrots, peeled
6 eggs, boiled
2 scallions, minced
1 Gala apple, peeled, cored and cut into small dice
1/2 cup drained canned corn (optional)
2 cups mayonnaise
1 2.7 fluid oz. bottle of Yakult (ok to omit if you can't find this)
1tsp. black pepper
1-2 tsp. salt (not more, or will be too salty)
1 tbsp. sugar
1. Place the eggs into a medium pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil & cook on high about 1 minute, then turn off heat and let sit for 20-30 minutes. Drain, rinse the eggs with cold water, and peel. Set aside.
2. Place the potatoes and carrots into a large pot and cover with water. Add a large pinch of salt, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. After 10-15 minutes, remove the carrots to a chopping board to cool. Continue cooking 20 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender (use a fork to test). Drain the water from the pan and set the potatoes aside.
3. Dice the carrots and set aside.
4. When the potatoes are slightly cool, place into a large bowl and, using a potato masher, mash until they are somewhat smooth but still with some texture.
5. Remove 3 of the cooked egg yolks from the eggs and set aside. Cut the remaining 3 eggs & egg whites into small dice and add to the mashed potato. Mash the mixture a bit with the potato masher.
6. Add the diced carrots, diced apple, canned corn (if using) and minced scallions to the potato-egg mixture. Add 2 cups mayonnaise and 1 small bottle of Yakult and stir to blend. Season with black pepper, salt and sugar.
7. Grate the reserved egg yolks through a fine sieve into a bowl.
8. Spoon a serving of the potato salad using a large spoon or ice-cream scoop onto a small plate. Sprinkle the top with some grated egg yolk.