1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
3 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. paprika
2 bay leaves
2 1/4 cups water
3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
3 tbsp. chopped fresh Italian/flat-leaf parsley
1 lemon, seeded and cut into wedges
Fresh chopped cilantro and/or parsley for garnish
1. In a deep skillet or 4 quart saucepan, add the olive oil and butter and heat over high heat. Add the chopped onion and saute until translucent, about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add the garlic and saute 10-20 seconds until fragrant. Add the rice and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until well coated with the oil.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, paprika, kosher salt, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves. Stir for about 1 minute until the tomatoes have slightly softened.
4. Add the water, cilantro and parsley, stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce heat to a low, and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Remove the cover, fluff the rice with a spatula or fork, then cover again. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to serve.
5. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and/or parsley and lemon wedges on the side.