Saturday, November 27, 2010
Cranberry-Apple Sausage Cornbread Stuffing
This is my sister EE's recipe, which we made for Thanksgiving this year. The use of dried cranberries, green apple and apple sausage are what make this dish extra flavorful.
2 boxes (12 oz. each) of seasoned cornbread stuffing
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
5 stalks of celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green apple, chopped
5. 2 oz. package of roasted & peeled chestnuts (optional), coarsely chopped
4 sausages (we used Aidell's Chicken Apple sausage), diced
Fresh sage (4-5 leaves), minced
Fresh thyme (about 2 tsp. of leaves)
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
4 green onions, chopped
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. allspice
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 48-0z. container of low sodium chicken broth
1. Dice the celery, onion, and green apple. Heat butter over medium high heat in pan. Saute celery, onion and apple until softened.
2. Add diced sausage, cranberries, chestnuts, sage, thyme, parsley, green onions, onion powder, garlic powder, allspice, and brown sugar. Reduce heat to medium low.
3. After ingredients are thoroughly mixed, add the cornbread stuffing and chicken stock. Mix well. Add water, as needed, to achieve desired level of moistness.
4. Adjust seasonings to taste. Cooled stuffing can be covered and refrigerated at this point until ready to serve.
5. Preheat oven to 350F. Sprinkle an additional 1/2 - 3/4 cup of water over stuffing to keep it moist during baking. Cover stuffing with aluminum foil and cook for at least 30 minutes or until hot.
Chop the celery & onion.
Green apple & scallions.
EE, madly chopping away.
Berggarten Sage & English Thyme, fresh picked from the garden.
Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage works well for this recipe (use the whole pack).
Chopped fresh sage & thyme, sausage, green apples & onions, scallions & parsley.
Dried cranberries & roasted, peeled chestnuts.
This is what the whole roasted chestnuts look like coming out of the bag.
Coarsely chop the chestnuts.
Brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder & allspice.
Melt butter in skillet over medium high heat.
Saute apple, onion, & celery until soft.
Add sausage, cranberries, chestnuts, sage, thyme, parsley, scallions, dried spices and brown sugar to the mix and reduce heat to medium low.
We used Mrs. Cubbison's Seasoned Corn Bread stuffing.
Add 2 boxes of cornbread stuffing to the mixture. Stir well to incorporate.
Add 48 ounces of low sodium chicken broth to the stuffing.
Place stuffing into a large casserole. If not serving immediately, allow mixture to cool, cover well & keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Before baking in the oven, sprinkle 1/2-3/4 cup of water over the stuffing to moisten.