3 lbs. beef shank or beef pot roast
2 whole black cardamom pods
1/4 tsp. five spice powder
5 scallions, cut into 2" pieces
4 cloves garlic, smashed
2 star anise
3 bay leaves
1 tsp. whole cloves
2 tsp. fennel seeds
2" piece of ginger, sliced
3" stick of Chinese cinnamon
3 dried red chilies
1 tbsp. Sichuan peppercorns
1 small onion, quartered
1 large carrot, cut into large dice
1/2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
2 tbsp. rock sugar
1/2 cup rice wine
1 tsp. white pepper
8 cups water
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 tbsp. sweet bean paste or hoisin sauce
4 tbsp. water
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
2 jalapeños, seeded and thinly sliced
3-4 scallions, thinly sliced along the bias
Redleaf lettuce leaves
For the Beef:
1. Add 1/4 cup of oil to a large pan or stock pot, heat over medium high heat, and add the scallions, garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, dried red chiles, star anise, cardamom, five spice powder, Szechuan peppercorns, cloves, fennel seeds, bay leaves, onion, carrot and cilantro. Saute for several minutes until fragrant.
2. Add 8 cups of water, 1 cups of soy sauce, 1/2 cup rice wine and 1 tsp. of white pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. At this point, you can place everything into a slow cooker and cook for 12 hours on high overnight, OR, keep it simmering on the stovetop, partially covered, for at least 4 hours or until the meat is very tender.
3. Remove the meat to a chopping board. If using beef chuck, coarsely chop/shred. Place the meat into a bowl or container and cover with the stewing liquid. Mix in a handful of fresh, chopped cilantro and a drizzle of sesame oil. Set aside. If using beef shank, thinly slice the meat, place into a container and ladle on some of the stewing liquid to keep the meat moist. Toss in a handful of cilantro and drizzle with a bit of sesame oil. Cover and set aside.
NOTE: Any leftover beef can be placed into a Ziploc bag or container and frozen for later use.
For the Sauce:
Make the dipping sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients into a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
How to Assemble:
1. Smear about 2 tsp. of the sweet bean/Hoisin sauce down the center of the scallion pancake.
2. Add a generous helping of the beef over the sauce.
3. Top the beef with fresh cilantro, scallions, jalapeños and lettuce.
4. Roll the scallion pancake over the beef in the same manner as you would if making an enchilada.
5. Slice the scallion pancake roll into 2 or 4 slices, plate, and serve with extra sauce on the side.