1/2 cup sake
1/2 cup mirin
6 tbsp. white (Shiro) miso
2 tbsp. sugar
1.5 lbs. salmon filets, skinned, and cut into 6 oz. pieces
2 scallions, minced
Steamed white rice
2. Check the salmon filets for pin bones and remove any you find.
3. Place the filets into a shallow casserole. Pour about 1/2 cup of the miso marinade over the fish, turn the filets over a couple times to coat, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2-6 hours.
4. Place the remaining 1/2 cup of miso marinade in a small saucepan or skillet; heat over low heat until the sauce has slightly reduced/thickened, about 10 minutes. Keep on a low simmer until the fish is cooked.
5. Add 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Remove the fish filets from the casserole and wipe off most of the marinade with your hands. Add to the hot skillet and saute about 3-4 minutes per side or until browned and just cooked through.
6. Remove the fish filets to individual serving plates and ladle a little of the reduced miso marinade over and around the fish (a little goes a long way). Garnish with minced green onion and serve with steamed white rice.