2 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 stalks celery, chopped
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef or turkey
3 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder or granulated garlic
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. sugar
2 cans (14.5 oz. each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans
1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans
Sliced scallions/green onions
1. Heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper and celery and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste and stir frequently for about 2 minutes, until color has darkened.
3. Add the ground beef or turkey and break up the meat (I use a potato masher). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is no longer pink. If there's a lot of fat, drain some of it out.
4. Add the chili powder, cumin and garlic powder, salt, pepper, and sugar; stir to combine. Add the canned tomatoes, then fill each can with water to wash out any tomato bits and add to the pot.
5. Add the canned beans with their liquid to the pot and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30-40 minutes.
6. Serve the chili in individual bowls and garnish with shredded cheddar and sliced scallions.