2 lbs. ground pork
4 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. rice wine
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. white pepper
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
5-6 tbsp. fermented black beans
2 scallions, minced
1. Place fermented black beans in a small bowl and cover with water. Let soak for 5 minutes, drain & rinse.
2. Add fermented black beans and remaining ingredients to the ground pork and mix well, using your hands.
3. Shape the ground pork mixture into a large ball and place in a heat-proof bowl. Set in a steamer, and steam over medium high heat for 25-30 minutes. Poke a hold into the middle of the meatball with a chopstick to make sure the liquids come out clear. If a bit pinkish, steam for another few minutes to make sure the meat is thoroughly cooked.
4. Turn off heat. Let the pork sit covered in the steamer another 5 minutes before serving. Do not overcook this dish, or the pork will have a tough texture.
5. Serve with steamed white rice or plain rice porridge.