2 lbs. ground pork (or chicken)
12 small to medium shiitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water to soften, squeezed dry, stemmed and finely chopped
1 8-oz. can sliced water chestnuts, minced
6 scallions, chopped
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. oyster sauce
2 tbsp. dark soy sauce
1 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. rice wine
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. white pepper
8 cloves garlic, minced
4 tbsp. vegetable oil
3/4 tsp. kosher salt or to taste
8 tbsp. Hoisin sauce
1 tsp. Sriracha or other Chinese chile garlic sauce
6 tbsp. water
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 Fresno (red jalapeno) chiles, seeded and thinly sliced
3 scallions, finely chopped
1 head iceberg lettuce, washed & with leaves separated
AND/OR red or green oak leaf lettuce leaves
1. Mix the ground pork, chopped shiitakes, minced water chestnuts, scallions, and seasoning sauce together until well blended. Let marinate for 20-30 minutes.
2. Combine the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Heat 4 tbsp. oil in a large wok or saute pan over high heat. Saute the minced garlic until lightly browned. Add the meat mixture and Stir well to combine.
4. When the meat mixture has just cooked through, season with 3/4 tsp. of kosher salt if needed, or to taste.
5. To serve: you can let your guests serve themselves by doing this buffet style (meat mixture, sauce, garnishes and lettuce leaves on separate bowls/platters or place lettuce leaves on separate plates, topping with each with a couple spoonfuls of meat filling, garnishing with cilantro, chiles and/or chopped scallion, and a drizzle of the spicy Hoisin sauce. Whatever floats your boat.
6. To eat: roll up the lettuce wrap over the filling (like you would a burrito or spring roll) and it's ready to eat. Bon appetite!