1 lb. pasta (fusilli, cavatappi, or farfalle all work well, but feel free to use your fav)
3-4 slices thick-cut bacon, thinly sliced/chopped
1 lb. chicken tenders, cut into large dice
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 medium red or yellow onion, finely chopped
3 medium, ripe tomatoes, chopped
6-8 oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup basil leaves, julienned
1/4 cup white wine
2 cups heavy cream
2 tbsp. grated or shredded parmesan
Salt & pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, optional
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions.
2. In the meantime, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a saute pan over medium high heat and cute the onion, garlic and bacon until the onion in translucent and the bacon just starting to brown. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the chopped fresh tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, wine, and most of the basil (reserve 1-2 tbsp. for garnish). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
4. Add the heavy cream and 2 tbsp. parmesan and bring sauce up to a boil. Cook until the sauce starts to thicken. Toss in the drained pasta and stir well, cooking another 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat and adjust for seasonings (salt & pepper). If desired, stir in red pepper flakes. If the sauce is too thick, add a few spoonfuls of the pasta cooking water to thin out.
5. Plate the pasta and garnish with the reserved julienned basil and extra parmesan.