which my sister highly recommended.
6 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
4 quarts (16 cups) water
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 bay leaves
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into large dice
1 leek quartered, or 3-4 scallions cut in half
32 oz. (4 cups) unsalted chicken stock
3/4 cup orzo pasta or arborio rice
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 large lemons)
2 large eggs
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
Chopped fresh parsley and/or dill for garnish (optional)
1. Place the chicken in a large pot (I like to use enameled cast iron) and cover with 4 quarts or 16 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the chicken is very tender, skimming off any of the foamy stuff that forms on the top.
2. In the meantime, heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. When the chicken is cooked until tender after 1 to 1 1/2 hours, remove with tongs to a cutting board. Let cool, remove the skin, remove the meat from the bones and shred or cut into bite-sized pieces; set aside.
4. Add the reserved sautéed onion, bay leaves, carrot and leek or scallions and 4 additional cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for another hour.
5. Remove the carrot, leek/scallions, and bay leaves from the pot. Add the orzo (or rice) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes or until the orzo (or rice) is just al dente. Add the reserved cooked chicken meat.
6. Whisk the eggs and lemon juice together in a small bowl until just combined. Slowly pour 1 cup of the hot broth into the lemon juice-egg mixture, stirring constantly (this is called tempering so you won't end up with scrambled eggs).
7. Pour the egg-lemon juice-broth mixture back into the pot. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the soup has slightly thickened. Taste and season with additional salt and/or pepper if needed. Ladle the hot soup into serving bowls and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and/or dill if desired.