3 lbs. bone-in beef short ribs
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
8 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tbsp. grated ginger
1 Asian or other pear, grated (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup mirin
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup sake
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. sesame oil
2 cups water
6-8 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in hot water, stemmed and sliced
5 white potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
Chopped scallions for garnish
1. Pat the beef short ribs dry with paper towels then season all sides liberally with salt and pepper.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. vegetable oil in an enameled cast iron pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the seasoned short ribs in batches (do not overcrowd - I did these in two batches) and brown on all sides by turning occasionally with tongs. Remove and set aside on a plate.
3. Add the sliced onion, garlic, and grated ginger to the same pan with the remaining drippings/fond and saute over medium high heat for about 2 minutes or until softened.
4. Add 2 cups of water, then the grated pear, mirin, soy sauce, sake, brown sugar, and sesame oil. Stir to combine. Add the browned short ribs with any accumulated juices, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover, and cook for 2 hours.
5. After 2 hours of simmering, add the diced carrots, potatoes, and sliced shiitakes. Bring back up to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, partially cover and cook another 1 hour.
6. Serve with steamed white rice and garnish with sliced scallions.