1 lb. flank steak, thinly sliced across the grain into 1" x 3" strips
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. Maggi sauce
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. dark soy sauce
2 tsp. oyster sauce
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. rice wine
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ginger, minced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 medium bell peppers (green and/or red), seeded and diced
1 tsp. ground black pepper
Salt, to taste
6 tbsp. vegetable oil
1. Slice the beef and place into a medium bowl. Mix well with 2 tsp. of baking soda and let sit for 20-30 minutes. This step will make the beef super tender and less beefy/gamey in flavor.
2. Place the beef in a colander and rinse well under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels.
3. Place the beef back into a bowl and combine with the marinade ingredients. Let marinate 20-30 minutes.
4. Add 3 tbsp. oil to a wok or large saute pan and heat over high heat. Add the beef and saute briefly until partially cooked through. Remove the beef to a plate and place the pan back on the heat.
5. Add an additional 3 tbsp. of oil to the pan and heat over medium high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry briefly. Add the sliced onions and saute, stirring briefly, until the onions have softened a bit and are lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the beef back to the pan, add the ground black pepper, and cook over high heat for 1-2 minutes until the beef is just cooked through.
7. Taste and season with a little extra salt, if needed. Pour onto dish and serve with steamed white rice.